Cheerful and lively: Eugene was feeling chipper
More example sentences
- It's a shame that the lively antics and chipper music of the Max & Ruby series, combined with a minimum level of interactivity, weren't applied to this extra.
- Normally, he was chipper and happy all the time.
- And that means you're not going to find that happy, chipper person you might have found in the '80s.
Mid 19th century: perhaps from northern English dialect kipper 'lively'.
Words that rhyme with chipperAgrippa, clipper, dipper, equipper, flipper, gripper, hipper, kipper, nipper, Pippa, ripper, shipper, sipper, skipper, slipper, stripper, tipper, tripper, whipper, zipper
1A person or thing that turns something into chips.
- The easiest way to get rid of them is to chip them out with a weed chipper.
- The rest of Jack's varied gear, from skidders and haul trucks to a fully stocked service truck, serves to keep logs going into the chipper at one end and chips coming out the other.
- The other challenge is making sure the chipper has a constant flow of chip vans to fill.
1.1A machine for chipping timber.
- The company's internal combustion engines can be found powering lift trucks, industrial wood chippers and stationary irrigation pumps among other things.
- ‘It's much faster and easier than using chain saws and chippers or large horizontal or tub grinders,’ he says.
- Similarly, their use of balers, magnets, wood chippers, and other equipment typically used in the recycling industry makes perfect sense too.
2Irish informal A fish-and-chip shop.
- ‘It isn't as if I am suddenly opening the floodgates and letting the country be saturated in café bars,’ he said, adding that the new licences would not be given to takeaway restaurants and chippers.
- He can't drink and he can't eat anything containing calcium, salt, potassium or phosphate, which rules out living in the chippers.
- It was a clean-up for bars, especially, and also for hotels, guesthouses, restaurants and chippers.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.