Definition of chiral in English:
Asymmetric in such a way that the structure and its mirror image are not superimposable.
- Most alkaloids are also chiral molecules, meaning they have nonsuperimposable mirror images.
- The resulting chiral nematic giant liquid crystals had wide temperature ranges for their liquid crystal phases, from room temperature to about 80° Celsius.
- The most common examples of chiral molecules are enantiomers.
- Example sentences
- Such isomers are called enantiomers and molecules that have enantiomers are said to be chiral or to show chirality.
- All of this is achieved without switching the chirality of the catalyst.
- The technique might also be used to template the growth of complex molecular structures with novel architecture and chirality.
Late 19th century: from Greek kheir 'hand' + -al.
Definition of chiral in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.