- An insect of a family (Chironomidae) which comprises the non-biting midges.More example sentences
- The worms are actually the dark-red larvae of non-biting mosquito-like insects known as chironomids, more commonly called midges.
- Young Atlantic salmon in streams eat mainly the larvae of aquatic insects such as blackflies, stoneflies, caddisflies, and chironomids.
- By 10-11 days after hatching, young gar begin feeding on small crustaceans, such as cladocerans and copepods, and insects, including various dipterans such as chironomids.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Chironomidae (plural), from the genus name Chironomus, from Greek kheironomos 'pantomime dancer'.
More definitions of chironomidDefinition of chironomid in:
- The US English dictionary