- Inconsequential conversation: it was a leisurely dinner with much chit-chat and laughterMore example sentences
- Nothing much came of their conversation, just common chit-chat.
- Their dinner party chit-chat concerned the humdrum topic of house prices.
- During the break, Ms Flynn was left to awkwardly sit down beside the Taoiseach and exchange small talk - chit-chat, you might say.
verb[no object] Back to top
- Talk about trivial matters: I can’t stand around chit-chattingMore example sentences
- The last thing this hotel will be is a wee B&B with a wee landlady who's forever chit-chatting to you.
- I was happily floating around to different groups all night, talking, chit-chatting, catching up with some old faces and taking silly pictures.
- I see them hanging out every morning together, chit-chatting.
late 17th century: reduplication of chat1.