nounNorth American • informal
- (During the era of racial segregation in parts of the US) a network of clubs, theatres, and other venues where black entertainers were able to perform.More example sentences
- There was that small-town camaraderie, especially on the chitlin circuit in the South.
- It's almost like a white chitlin circuit of underground rap music.
- During America's segregationist years, the chitlin circuit - cheap juke joints and diners - was the only place many black musicians could get work.
from chitlins, a southern US dialect form of chitterlings (a food stereotypically associated with black people and poor southerners).
More definitions of chitlin circuitDefinition of chitlin circuit in:
- The US English dictionary