- 1Make a twittering or chattering sound: a pair of hawks arced chittering through the darknessMore example sentences
- With wide brimmed hats and skin slippery with sun block, they chittered and chattered like sparrows, as they frolicked in their favourite spot.
- One of the tiny bat-creatures chittered nervously from the darkness.
- Not singing as they did in the spring, they were nevertheless chirping, chucking and chittering as they gleaned seeds and insects.
- 2Scottish & • dialect Shiver with cold: they stand chittering at bus stopsMore example sentences
- Chaiila started chittering and gasping uncontrollably.
- Then he started chittering and whimpering in shock.
Middle English: imitative; compare with chatter.
More definitions of chitterDefinition of chitter in:
- The US English dictionary