A small Eurasian plant related to the onion, with purple-pink flowers and long tubular leaves which are used as a culinary herb: freshly chopped chives (as modifier chive) chive and garlic dressing
- Allium schoenoprasum, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
More example sentences
- Plant seedlings of basil, chives, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, and thyme.
- The site is a former dairy farm, now given over to a variety of herbs - ranging from basil, parsley, coriander and chives to edible flowers and mixed salad leaves.
- If he's fixing a salad, he steps outside the back door and snips from the beds of lemon thyme, garlic chives, parsley, and mint to add to the mix of lettuces he grows from spring to fall.
Middle English: from Old French, dialect variant of cive, from Latin cepa 'onion'.
Definition of chives in:
- The US English dictionary