noun (plural same)Biology
- A common single-celled green alga which typically has two flagella for swimming, living in water and moist soil.
More example sentences
- Genus Chlamydomonas, division Chlorophyta (or phylum Chlorophyta, kingdom Protista)
- However, the potential of the unicellular green alga chlamydomonas in selection systems has been studied most.
- Chlamydomonas has nothing to do with Chlamydia, by the way.
- The PKA protein in Chlamydomonas flagella has not been purified.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek khlamus, khlamud- 'cloak' + monas (see monad).
More definitions of chlamydomonasDefinition of chlamydomonas in:
- The US English dictionary