- A short cloak worn by men in ancient Greece.More example sentences
- Greek men tended to travel light, with only a pouch slung over their shoulder containing a single change of clothes - a short cape or chlamys; some cooking utensils; and a woollen blanket for bedding.
- David is shown as a young, beardless figure with short, dark hair, clad in a purple chlamys, fastened at the shoulder (though no fibula is represented), beneath which a white and golden yellow garment can be seen.
- David wears the adult dress of a Byzantine courtier, consisting of an ankle-length chlamys and a long-sleeved tunic.
late 17th century: from Greek khlamus 'cloak'.
More definitions of chlamysDefinition of chlamys in:
- The US English dictionary