Definition of chlorophyll in English:
A green pigment, present in all green plants and in cyanobacteria, which is responsible for the absorption of light to provide energy for photosynthesis.
- The green colouring comes from chlorophyll, the same pigment that is found in foliage.
- Unlike plants, though, cyanobacteria lack a second kind of chlorophyll, known as chlorophyll b, which in concert with chlorophyll a helps plants capture light.
- Examples of the former are the green chlorophyll pigment in plant leaves and the orange pigment present in carrots, carotene.
- Example sentences
- In a previous study, we suggested that once Coffea somatic embryos have developed chlorophyllous cotyledons exhibiting active photosynthesis, they could be successfully cultured photoautotrophically.
- Along the abaxial and adaxial margins of the leaf the subepidermal vascular bundles are interspersed with fibre bundles in the chlorophyllous mesophyll.
- Their roots cover rock surfaces, are chlorophyllous and have extremely short, leafy and floral shoots scattered on their dorsal surface; they play major roles in adherence, photosynthesis, organogenesis and reproduction.
Words that rhyme with chlorophyllfibrefill (US fiberfill)
Definition of chlorophyll in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.