A North American cherry with astringent fruit which is edible when cooked.
- Prunus virginiana, family Rosaceae
More example sentences
- They picked wild service berries, choke cherries, and buffalo or bull berries in the fall, and gathered the bark of the cottonwood tree, enjoying its sweet interior.
- Astringency is removed by cooking, and choke cherries make tasty pie-fillings, sauces and wine.
- Picking choke cherries is easy, because they grow in big clusters and your bucket will fill up fast.
Definition of chokecherry in:
- The US English dictionary