noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- One of the D vitamins, a sterol essential for the deposition of calcium in bones and formed by the action of sunlight on dehydrocholesterol in the skin. Also called vitamin D3.More example sentences
- The most important source of vitamin D for all individuals is the sunlight-driven conversion in skin of 7-dehydrocholesterol to cholecalciferol.
- Both groups received cholecalciferol and calcium carbonate oral supplementation.
- The kidney is involved in the first step in metabolism of cholecalciferol to calcidiol, the form in which it is stored, and the liver in the final conversion to the active hormone calcitriol.
More definitions of cholecalciferolDefinition of cholecalciferol in:
- The US English dictionary