Definition of choleric in English:
1Bad-tempered or irritable: he was a choleric, self-important little man
More example sentences
- Even Maureen, who generally treats her choleric partner with girlish forbearance, at one point asks: ‘Why do you always shout like that, Rolf?’
- While Ralph was the choleric loser, Ed was the lucky buffoon.
- The negative side came about largely through his personality which is described as ‘occasionally choleric, quarrelsome, and given to invectives.’
bad-tempered, irascible, irritable, grumpy, grouchy, crotchety, tetchy, testy, crusty, cantankerous, curmudgeonly, ill-tempered, ill-natured, ill-humoured, peevish, cross, fractious, disagreeable, pettish, crabbed, crabby, waspish, prickly, peppery, touchy, scratchy, splenetic, shrewish, short-tempered, hot-tempered, quick-tempered, dyspeptic, bilious, liverish, cross-grained;
argumentative, quarrelsome, uncooperative, contrary, perverse, difficult, awkward
Australian/New Zealand informal snaky
1.1(In medieval medicine) having choler as the predominant bodily humour: a choleric disposition
More example sentences
- ‘Adding fuel to the fire’ is Culpeper's way of saying that the herb strengthens the choleric humour associated with fever.
- Imbalance of the humours resulted in various temperaments, thus the dominance of black bile causes melancholy; blood, sanguine temperament; phlegm, a phlegmatic temperament; or yellow bile, a choleric temperament.
- Rather, he is choleric in temperament: he is passionate, intemperate, and prone to rashness and anger.
- Example sentences
- Beyond saying that the book is nicely produced and offers some opinions that will have some typographers nodding appreciatively but others spluttering cholerically, I am not expert enough to venture an opinion.
- Once cholerically opposed by classical financiers, he can now, as Baron Keynes, boost his theories in the House of Lords.
- To use the power of the majority to cholerically abase and degrade such dissenters, however mistaken they may seem to be, will ultimately be counterproductive.
Words that rhyme with cholericagaric • Alaric • limerick
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan