Definition of choleric in English:
1Bad-tempered or irritable: he was a choleric, self-important little man
More example sentences
- Even Maureen, who generally treats her choleric partner with girlish forbearance, at one point asks: ‘Why do you always shout like that, Rolf?’
- While Ralph was the choleric loser, Ed was the lucky buffoon.
- The negative side came about largely through his personality which is described as ‘occasionally choleric, quarrelsome, and given to invectives.’
bad-tempered, irascible, irritable, grumpy, grouchy, crotchety, tetchy, testy, crusty, cantankerous, curmudgeonly, ill-tempered, ill-natured, ill-humoured, peevish, cross, fractious, disagreeable, pettish, crabbed, crabby, waspish, prickly, peppery, touchy, scratchy, splenetic, shrewish, short-tempered, hot-tempered, quick-tempered, dyspeptic, bilious, liverish, cross-grained;
argumentative, quarrelsome, uncooperative, contrary, perverse, difficult, awkward
Australian/New Zealand informal snaky
1.1(In medieval medicine) having choler as the predominant bodily humour: a choleric disposition
More example sentences
- ‘Adding fuel to the fire’ is Culpeper's way of saying that the herb strengthens the choleric humour associated with fever.
- Imbalance of the humours resulted in various temperaments, thus the dominance of black bile causes melancholy; blood, sanguine temperament; phlegm, a phlegmatic temperament; or yellow bile, a choleric temperament.
- Rather, he is choleric in temperament: he is passionate, intemperate, and prone to rashness and anger.
- Example sentences
- Beyond saying that the book is nicely produced and offers some opinions that will have some typographers nodding appreciatively but others spluttering cholerically, I am not expert enough to venture an opinion.
- Once cholerically opposed by classical financiers, he can now, as Baron Keynes, boost his theories in the House of Lords.
- To use the power of the majority to cholerically abase and degrade such dissenters, however mistaken they may seem to be, will ultimately be counterproductive.
Words that rhyme with cholericagaric • Alaric • limerick
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.