Definition of chopping block in English:
1A block for chopping wood or food.
- Here, there were no rules to follow, no orders to carry out, just the simple feel of an ax in his hand, striking hard against the chopping block.
- Luke looked up and seeing Marie, lodged the axe in the chopping block and went to her.
- I dumped a load of chopped wood on the pile and returned to the chopping block.
1.1 historical An executioner’s block.
- I was only in London for four days when I was eleven, and didn't think much of standing next to the chopping block where Henry VIII had a couple of his wives beheaded.
- The chosen play, ‘Enter A Queen’ involved a production company rehearsing the story of Anne Boleyn headed for the chopping block.
- Brave adventurers were journeying from these shores to chart a flat world, currying favour with the trigger-happy monarch as they fought to keep their heads from the chopping block.
on the chopping block
- Likely to be abolished or drastically reduced: the $1.6 billion we spend each year on transportation subsidies is on the chopping blockMore example sentences
- But suggestions in recent weeks by the Health Minister that complementary therapies may also be on the chopping block may not be met with such calm compliance.
- Funding for national parks and clean water is on the chopping block.
- Nonetheless, no president in recent times has declared an ambition to slaughter as many sacred cows: immigration, social security, tort reform and the tax code are all on the chopping block.
Definition of chopping block in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan