- 1A block for chopping wood or food.More example sentences
- Here, there were no rules to follow, no orders to carry out, just the simple feel of an ax in his hand, striking hard against the chopping block.
- Luke looked up and seeing Marie, lodged the axe in the chopping block and went to her.
- I dumped a load of chopped wood on the pile and returned to the chopping block.
- 1.1 • historical An executioner’s block.More example sentences
- I was only in London for four days when I was eleven, and didn't think much of standing next to the chopping block where Henry VIII had a couple of his wives beheaded.
- The chosen play, ‘Enter A Queen’ involved a production company rehearsing the story of Anne Boleyn headed for the chopping block.
- Brave adventurers were journeying from these shores to chart a flat world, currying favour with the trigger-happy monarch as they fought to keep their heads from the chopping block.
on the chopping block
- Likely to be abolished or drastically reduced: the $1.6 billion we spend each year on transportation subsidies is on the chopping blockMore example sentences
- But suggestions in recent weeks by the Health Minister that complementary therapies may also be on the chopping block may not be met with such calm compliance.
- Funding for national parks and clean water is on the chopping block.
- Nonetheless, no president in recent times has declared an ambition to slaughter as many sacred cows: immigration, social security, tort reform and the tax code are all on the chopping block.
More definitions of chopping blockDefinition of chopping block in:
- The US English dictionary