Definition of chordate in English:
An animal of the large phylum Chordata, comprising the vertebrates together with the sea squirts and lancelets.
- As an initial matter, the echinoderms and chordate phyla have been arranged in almost every possible phylogenetic order.
- Arthropods, chordates and annelids are the three segmented phyla in the animal kingdom.
- The zooplankton include chordate jellyfishes known as ‘salps,’ which are among the fastest-growing multicellular organisms on the planet.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting chordates.
- Surely a more penetrating expedition into invertebrate diversity was required to dig up the precursors of the chordate characteristics.
- Scenarios of pituitary evolution traditionally focused on the base of the chordates consistent with the exclusively chordate nature of the pituitary structure.
- They are small fish-like organisms in which the chordate characters are retained in the adult.
Definition of chordate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan