1A black Eurasian and North African bird of the crow family, with a downcurved bill and broad, rounded wings, typically frequenting mountains and sea cliffs.
- Genus Pyrrhocorax (and Pseudopodoces), family Corvidae: three species, especially the (red-billed) chough (P. pyrrhocorax)
- The sea stretches out before them and on a clear day, the shores of Ireland can be seen and brimming with wildlife it is not unusual to spot the rare chough, wild mountain goats or a seal in the sea nearby.
- Stackpole is also home to the chough, a much rarer bird.
- The Dingle Peninsula has been highlighted as an international stronghold for an endangered Irish bird, the distinctive red-billed chough.
2 (also white-winged chough) A black and white Australian bird of the mud-nester family.
- Corcorax melanorhamphos, family Corcoracidae (or Grallinidae)
- At Ngarkat and Karte conservation parks, you can see everything from ring-necked parrots, honeyeaters and white-winged choughs, to Australian bustards, yellow-tailed black cockatoos and sometimes even a rare Mallee emu-wren or the Mallee ningaui.
- A flock of white-winged choughs dropped in to feed the other day.
- Emus, mallee fowl, miners and white-winged choughs can be found away from the lakes.
Middle English (originally denoting the jackdaw): probably imitative.
Words that rhyme with choughbluff, buff, chuff, cuff, duff, enough, fluff, gruff, guff, huff, luff, puff, rough, ruff, scruff, scuff, slough, snuff, stuff, Tough, tuff
Definition of chough in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.