- A rich soup typically containing fish, clams, or corn with potatoes and onions: clam chowderMore example sentences
- He is making up some more of his clam chowder although it will be more like potato soup as just a few clams are left in the freezer.
- She loves to make soups, and her favorite recipe is corn chowder.
- About the only traces that remained of his short occupancy were two jars of leftover fish chowder he'd prepared for friends a couple of weeks earlier, then stuck in the freezer.
mid 18th century: perhaps from French chaudière 'stew pot', related to Old Northern French caudron (see cauldron).
More definitions of chowderDefinition of chowder in:
- The US English dictionary