Definition of chowki in English:
1A police station or jail.
- I filed a complaint at the Shah Alam police chowki and when Sonia came here, I gave her a written statement as well’ says Jannatbibi.
- The water body opposite the police chowki had a good mix of birds.
- Several times the complainant approached the Ramgarh police chowki and each time a compromise was arrived at.
2A low wooden seat or stool: participants in the conference will be seated on chowkis
More example sentences
- I was made to sit on a chowki covered with a velvet red cloth adorned with a yellow gold edges curiously called a ‘masala’.
- In the courtyard my meal was laid out covered with a tray on a chowki and a neighbor woman sat near it waiting for me.