Definition of chowki in English:
1A police station or jail.
- I filed a complaint at the Shah Alam police chowki and when Sonia came here, I gave her a written statement as well’ says Jannatbibi.
- The water body opposite the police chowki had a good mix of birds.
- Several times the complainant approached the Ramgarh police chowki and each time a compromise was arrived at.
2A low wooden seat or stool: participants in the conference will be seated on chowkis
More example sentences
- I was made to sit on a chowki covered with a velvet red cloth adorned with a yellow gold edges curiously called a ‘masala’.
- In the courtyard my meal was laid out covered with a tray on a chowki and a neighbor woman sat near it waiting for me.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan