(also chokidar /ˈtʃɒkɪdɑː/)
- (In South Asia) a watchman or gatekeeper.More example sentences
- Evening bus travellers were an exceedingly bored lot, second only to high school teachers, night chowkidars, and government clerks.
- I found the chowkidar and got him to open the gates.
- Shahid said that a month ago some miscreants had come to this school with a can of fuel to burn down the school but the chowkidar and other people stopped them.
from Urdu caukīdār, from caukī 'toll house' + -dār 'keeper'.
More definitions of chowkidarDefinition of chowkidar in:
- The US English dictionary