- A mixture of oil and balsam, consecrated and used for anointing at baptism and in other rites of Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican Churches.More example sentences
- Having been anointed with chrism, they would put their clothes back on and enter the church to participate in the Eucharist for the first time.
- The child is then anointed with chrism, a consecrated oil, and placed in a white baptismal garment.
- On Confirmation Day, the teenage candidates waited nervously for the questions the bishop would ask before anointing them with chrism.
Old English, from medieval Latin crisma, ecclesiastical Latin chrisma, from Greek khrisma 'anointing', from khriein 'anoint'.
More definitions of chrismDefinition of chrism in:
- The US English dictionary