noun[mass noun] Biology
- The material of which the chromosomes of organisms other than bacteria (i.e. eukaryotes) are composed, consisting of protein, RNA, and DNA.More example sentences
- The structure of chromatin is intimately linked to the function of the eukaryotic genome.
- Under normal conditions equal amounts of the four core histones are incorporated into chromatin.
- The de novo assembly of silent chromatin requires passage through the S phase of the cell cycle.
late 19th century: coined in German from Greek khrōma, khrōmat- 'colour'.
More definitions of chromatinDefinition of chromatin in:
- The US English dictionary