1A thin layer of chromium, electroplated or otherwise applied as a coating to another metal.
- Few people realize that the chromium plate process usually involves a pre-plate of nickel.
- The dull or matte chromium plate will not be quite as hard as the bright, but will be far more durable under heavy contact loading.
- Zinc plate prevents corrosion in two ways: mechanically and chemically, chromium plate passivates the zinc surface and prevents oxidation.
1.1Metal with a coating of chromium.
- Heat treatment of the chromium plate causes formation of alloys of iron and chromium at the interface, elimination of cracks with resultant tremendous increase in corrosion resistance of the plated surface, and softening of the plate with increase in its ductility.
- Henry Brown, a chemist who helped make the American Dream a gleaming reality by finding new ways of keeping chromium plate bright and shiny, died on March 15 at his home in Palo Alto, Calif.
verb(chromium-plate) [with object]
Cover (something) with a thin layer of chromium: (as adjective chromium-plated) pure copper, chromium-plated to prevent oxidation
More example sentences
- The gun has a chromium-plated barrel and semiautomatic lifting breech block with integrated 32-round standard primer magazine.
- The leather chair - one of the main items of furniture in Gray's apartment on the rue Bonaparte in Paris - is supported by her favoured chromium-plated steel tubing.
- In 1950 he moved to Bally, Pennsylvania, where in 1952 he designed the Bertoia chair, which features an elegant moulded mesh of chromium-plated steel wire.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: chro|mium plate
Definition of chromium plate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.