- A reddish gaseous layer immediately above the photosphere of the sun or another star which, together with the corona, constitutes its outer atmosphere.More example sentences
- Prominences, flares, plages, and other features of the solar chromosphere can be observed in hydrogen light.
- Solar flares appear as sudden, intense flashes in the chromosphere of the Sun.
- For decades astronomers labored to get good photographs of the chromosphere, and in particular its spectrum.
- More example sentences
- As the Sun went dark the corona became visible to all, although not much of a chromospheric display was seen, with only one notable prominence, perhaps two close by each other.
- Thus, detection of this resonance will provide an important new constraint on chromospheric models.
- This expansion of chromospheric plasma up into the corona during a flare is generally called chromospheric evaporation.
More definitions of chromosphereDefinition of chromosphere in:
- The US English dictionary