Definition of chromosphere in English:
A reddish gaseous layer immediately above the photosphere of the sun or another star which, together with the corona, constitutes its outer atmosphere.
- Prominences, flares, plages, and other features of the solar chromosphere can be observed in hydrogen light.
- Solar flares appear as sudden, intense flashes in the chromosphere of the Sun.
- For decades astronomers labored to get good photographs of the chromosphere, and in particular its spectrum.
- Example sentences
- As the Sun went dark the corona became visible to all, although not much of a chromospheric display was seen, with only one notable prominence, perhaps two close by each other.
- Thus, detection of this resonance will provide an important new constraint on chromospheric models.
- This expansion of chromospheric plasma up into the corona during a flare is generally called chromospheric evaporation.
Definition of chromosphere in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan