noun (plural same or chubs)
A thick-bodied European river fish with a grey-green back and white underparts.
- Leuciscus cephalus, family Cyprinidae
More example sentences
- Nine thousand young stickleback, roach, dace, chub and eels died along an 11 km stretch of the beck.
- At the close he had taken 36 lb 8oz of small carp, ide, orfe, chub and skimmers.
- In the Great Lakes region, alewives, smelt, sculpin and chubs make up a large portion of the lake trout diet.
late Middle English: of unknown origin.
Definition of chub in:
- The US English dictionary