A large nightjar native to eastern North America.
- Caprimulgus carolinensis, family Caprimulgidae
More example sentences
- A large nightjar of the southeastern United States, the Chuck-will's-widow is well known for its continuous singing of its name at dusk.
- Chuck-will's-widows migrate in Texas from late March through early May and will initiate breeding soon after arriving on their breeding grounds.
- Only rarely are chuck-will's-widows found during the daytime; most records are for night-singing birds.
late 18th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of chuck-will's-widow in:
- The US English dictionary