noun (plural chutneys)[mass noun]
- A spicy condiment of Indian origin, made of fruits or vegetables with vinegar, spices, and sugar: [count noun]: various chutneys and yogurt dipsMore example sentences
- Mostarda di Cremona, a candied fruit chutney in mustard syrup, is available in most Italian delis.
- The screen shows orderly, well-stocked aisles of rice and spices, chutney and dates.
- It is to be noted, however, that Indians make non-sweet chutneys from the fresh fruit; these are quite different from the more jam-like product which they export.
early 19th century: from Hindi caṭnī.
More definitions of chutneyDefinition of chutney in:
- The US English dictionary