noun[mass noun] Physiology
The pulpy acidic fluid which passes from the stomach to the small intestine, consisting of gastric juices and partly digested food.
More example sentences
- The rate of emptying of chyme from the stomach varies with the composition of the meal.
- The mixture of gastric secretions, saliva, and food, known collectively as chyme, moves to the small intestine.
- The body of the stomach produces acid and has a muscular digestive function for mixing chyme.
- More example sentences
- When solid food becomes chymous (ie, liquid in consistency), it passes through the pyloric sphincter into the duodenum.
Definition of chyme in:
- The US English dictionary