- Used as a greeting at meeting or parting: see you later—ciao!More example sentences
- I opened the door, he kissed my cheeks and said ciao, and I walked away.
- Remnants of the Italian occupation during World War II exist in the capital, such as the use of ciao to say ‘good-bye.’
- To say goodbye, most Uruguayans have adopted the Italian ciao or addio in place of the Spanish adios.
Italian, dialect alteration of schiavo '(I am your) slave', from medieval Latin sclavus 'slave'.
More definitions of ciaoDefinition of ciao in:
- The US English dictionary