- They smoke pipes, whereas Bertie Wooster and his friends smoke cigars or cigarettes.
- The smoke from their cigars burned the inside of her nose as she quickly walked past them.
- Some cigarette smokers, particularly men, switch to smoking cigars or pipes as a means of giving up cigarettes.
close but no cigar
- North American informal (Of an attempt) almost but not quite successful: they didn’t catch him in the car—close but no cigarReferring to a cigar received in congratulationMore example sentences
- Despite demographic changes, all signs are that it will be another case of close but no cigar.
- These fall into the ‘close but no cigar’ category.
- It's a worthy effort: close but no cigar.
Early 18th century: from French cigare, or from Spanish cigarro, probably from Mayan sik'ar 'smoking'.
Cigar is from French cigare, or from Spanish cigarro, probably from Mayan sik'ar ‘smoking’. Mid 19th-century cigarette ‘little cigar’ was also adopted from French. The abbreviation ciggy dates from the 1960s.
Words that rhyme with cigaraargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cigar
Definition of cigar in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.