(US also cigaret)
Definition of cigarette in English:
1A thin cylinder of finely cut tobacco rolled in paper for smoking.
- There is a perception that light smoking or smoking low tar cigarettes is not dangerous.
- Her voice was low and husky from smoking twenty cigarettes a day in that sexy cigarette holder she always used.
- What is the best way to stop tobacconists selling cigarettes to children?
1.1An object similar to a cigarette containing a narcotic or herbal substance.
- The following morning he said he rolled several cannabis cigarettes to smoke during the day.
- Herbal cigarettes, sold in pharmacies and health stores, have a very limited market.
- The gradual replacement of regular cigarettes with non-tobacco herbal cigarettes is an effective aid in tobacco detoxification.
Mid 19th century: from French, diminutive of cigare (see cigar).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.