(US also cigaret)
1A thin cylinder of finely cut tobacco rolled in paper for smoking.
- There is a perception that light smoking or smoking low tar cigarettes is not dangerous.
- Her voice was low and husky from smoking twenty cigarettes a day in that sexy cigarette holder she always used.
- What is the best way to stop tobacconists selling cigarettes to children?
filter tip, king-size;
informal ciggy, cig, tab, tube, smoke, cancer stick, coffin nail
British informal fag, snout, roll-up
British informal, dated gasper, burn
1.1An object similar to a cigarette containing a narcotic or herbal substance.
- The following morning he said he rolled several cannabis cigarettes to smoke during the day.
- Herbal cigarettes, sold in pharmacies and health stores, have a very limited market.
- The gradual replacement of regular cigarettes with non-tobacco herbal cigarettes is an effective aid in tobacco detoxification.
Mid 19th century: from French, diminutive of cigare (see cigar).
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cig¦ar|ette
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.