Definition of cilice in English:
1A hair shirt.
- The cilice mentioned in the novel is a thigh-mounted type, but i guess the original cilices were coarse hairy shirts.
- In the evening we keep pious conversation while attending to pious works such as making rosaries, cilices and repairing books.
- Nuns of some religious orders wear a hair cloth or cilice next their skin.
1.1A spiked garter or other device worn by penitents and ascetics.
- His descriptions of the practice of corporal mortification is also inaccurate, as is his representation of the cilice and the discipline.
- The cilice creates a minor leg irritation which is intended to be a reminder of Christ's suffering.
- I don't fancy that 'cilice' very much.
Definition of cilice in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan