Definition of cinder in English:
1A small piece of partly burnt coal or wood that has stopped giving off flames but still has combustible matter in it: a cold hearth full of cinders
More example sentences
- Two years ago, a couple claimed their child was burned by a flying cinder from a train.
- Firewalking refers to the activity of walking on hot coals, rocks or cinders without burning the soles of one's feet.
- She alone has the presence of mind to remove a burning cinder from a table full of explosives.
1.1 (cinders) Ashes.
- The wheels are exposed to a lot of corrosive elements such as the dust, salt, stones, and cinders.
- The place was a mess; all the tables were either broken or burnt to cinders.
- I too spent happy times wandering round the ‘field’ which was mostly of dirt and cinders.
2 [mass noun] Waste matter produced by smelting or refining ore; slag.
- Years ago this was the way Rowntree's disposed of its cinder waste from its incinerator - it had waiting lists of people wanting this material.
- We are going a roundabout way to the village via an abandoned rail line with a cinder trackbed.
- Eventually we find a new little bike path of dirt and cinder that follows the Little Patuxent river.
burnt to a cinder
- Completely burnt: I like my steak burnt to a cinderMore example sentences
- It looked like 15 years of hard work burnt to a cinder.
- It was all burnt to a cinder by the time I got back in later that night.
- Barbecue food has that odd combination of being burnt to a cinder on the outside and retaining a raw quality in the middle.
- Example sentences
- The waves pound the coast hard enough to send a tremor through the cindery sand.
- As the road snakes up and over the cindery shoulder of Lassen Peak, it climbs through conifer forests to lake-dotted meadows.
Words that rhyme with cinderBelinda, Cabinda, Clarinda, Dorinda, hinder, Kinder, Linda, Lucinda, Melinda, tinder
Definition of cinder in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.