- 1A filmmaker.More example sentences
- Nouvelle vague of the 1960s was conceived in a similar spirit by French cineasts who realized that the Hollywood studios had turned the movie into a product to be consumed.
- 1.1A person who is fond of or knowledgeable about the cinema.More example sentences
- The dialogue sparkles, and the development of the story may have some cineastes thinking of Eric Rohmer.
- She'd come on an intellectual pilgrimage in search of French cineastes who could discuss the films of Renoir, Cocteau, Bunuel.
- The film adaptation attracted excited and enthusiastic critical comment from cineastes, especially in France.
1920s: from French cinéaste, from ciné (from cinéma), on the pattern of enthousiaste 'enthusiast'.
More definitions of cineasteDefinition of cineaste in:
- The US English dictionary