1 [mass noun] The action or practice of circumcising a young boy or man.
- Ever since Abraham, circumcision was the way Jews marked their covenant with God.
- Brit Milah, or circumcision, is performed on a Jewish male eight days after he is born.
- In the past, young boys underwent ritual circumcision at a relatively late age.
2 [mass noun] The action or practice of circumcising a girl or young woman; female circumcision.
- Both songs are traditionally sung by girls during circumcision.
- Her father, who died five years ago, also decided that the local practice of circumcision was not for his girls.
- 'By the end of that year, it appeared that we had reduced the circumcision of girls by 36 percent,' he added.
3 (Circumcision) (In church use) the feast of the Circumcision of Christ, 1 January.
- New Years is still observed as the Feast of Christ's Circumcision by some denominations.
- Most secular celebrations also are tied to religious holidays, like Christmas or New Year's (the Circumcision of Jesus).
Words that rhyme with circumcisioncollision, concision, decision, derision, division, elision, envision, excision, imprecision, incision, misprision, precisian, precision, provision, scission, vision
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cir¦cum|ci¦sion
Definition of circumcision in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.