Definition of circumcision in English:
1 [mass noun] The action or practice of circumcising a young boy or man.
- Ever since Abraham, circumcision was the way Jews marked their covenant with God.
- Brit Milah, or circumcision, is performed on a Jewish male eight days after he is born.
- In the past, young boys underwent ritual circumcision at a relatively late age.
2 [mass noun] The action or practice of circumcising a girl or young woman; female circumcision.
- The programme has also helped to cut down the number of young girls lined up for circumcision in the area this year.
- An Australian couple has appeared in court for allegedly organising an illegal circumcision of their one-year-old baby girl in Indonesian province of Bali.
- Circumcision deprives girls of much of their ability to experience sexual pleasure.
3 (Circumcision) (In church use) the feast of the Circumcision of Christ, 1 January.
- New Years is still observed as the Feast of Christ's Circumcision by some denominations.
- Most secular celebrations also are tied to religious holidays, like Christmas or New Year's (the Circumcision of Jesus).
Words that rhyme with circumcisioncollision, concision, decision, derision, division, elision, envision, excision, imprecision, incision, misprision, precisian, precision, provision, scission, vision
Definition of circumcision in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.