noun (plural ciscoes)
- A freshwater whitefish of northern countries, most species of which are important food fishes.
More example sentences
- Genus Coregonus, family Salmonidae: several species
- They prey on such fish as the cisco (lake herring), lake whitefish, central mudminnow, and golden shiner.
- Overfishing of other species of ciscoes has reduced populations, and shifted more pressure to Coregonus hoyi.
- Coregonine fishes in New York, both whitefish and cisco, have been extensively introduced into waters outside of their natural ranges, such as lakes in the Adirondack Mountains.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of ciscoDefinition of cisco in:
- The US English dictionary