- 1A tank for storing water, especially one supplying taps or as part of a flushing toilet.More example sentences
- It is a water-saving device you fit in your toilet cistern so that less water is used for flushing.
- The Court of Appeal held that although the escape of water was a consequence of the maintenance of the cistern and water supply by the landlord, it was not a breach of the covenant for quiet enjoyment.
- Everything they needed to survive was inside: stores of food, cisterns of water, and strategically-placed air holes.
- 1.1An underground reservoir for rainwater.More example sentences
- Many had wells or cisterns for collecting rainwater.
- The city's greatest find, though, lay hidden beneath the surface: four immense, underground water cisterns.
- Rain flowing from the roof is collected in an underground cistern and reused.
Middle English: from Old French cisterne, from Latin cisterna, from cista 'box' (see cist).