- A small Old World warbler with brownish streaked plumage, found mainly in Africa.
More example sentences
- Genus Cisticola, family Sylviidae: numerous species. See also fan-tailed warbler
- In ornithological circles, he perhaps is best known for unraveling the systematics of the cisticolas, a notoriously difficult group of Old World warblers.
- For his own contributions, he chose the difficult bulbuls in volume 4 and the cisticolas in volume 5.
- The zitting cisticola takes insects and insect larvae on the ground.
modern Latin, from Greek kistos 'flowering shrub' + Latin -col- 'dwelling in' (from the verb colere).