- A southern European shrub with large white or red flowers, from which the resin ladanum may be extracted. Also called rock rose.
More example sentences
- Genus Cistus, family Cistaceae
- Some of the native plants we found growing in the rocky limestone soils of the hills and mountains away from the coastal plains were familiar: cistus, helichrysum, euphorbia, thyme, fennel and rosemary.
- Olive trees planted in full sun look their best surrounded by scented herbs and silver-grey Mediterranean plants: helichrysum, cistus, lavender, myrtle and rosemary.
- His garden has a ‘contemplative side’, with plants from China and Japan, including maples and Himalayan poppies, and a sunnier, Mediterranean side, with euphorbia, osteospermum, sedums, cistus and lavenders.
modern Latin, from Greek kistos.