(also kithara /ˈkɪθ-/)
- An ancient Greek and Roman stringed musical instrument similar to the lyre.More example sentences
- He sang and performed on the cithara but also encouraged members of the upper classes to take lessons in singing and dancing.
- Another stringed instrument mentioned quite often is the cithara.
- The entrance to the ecstatic Dionysiac world in the Villa of the Mysteries is marked by Silenus playing a cithara at the edge of a rocky landscape.
late 18th century: Latin, from Greek kithara. Compare with cittern.
More definitions of citharaDefinition of cithara in:
- The US English dictionary