Definition of citizen science in English:
The collection and analysis of data relating to the natural world by members of the general public, typically as part of a collaborative project with professional scientists: the director of education sees a need for citizen science in astronomy [as modifier]: citizen science projects
More example sentences
- They were on a mission to tally salamanders as participants in one of a series of "citizen science" outings organized by the Mystic Aquarium and Institute for Exploration's Amphibian Monitoring Project.
- This shift towards citizen science goes much further than the current double-science integrated course in distancing itself from traditional physics, chemistry and biology teaching.
- Across the country, wildlife researchers are discovering the benefits of an emerging "citizen science" movement.
citizen scientist noun
- Example sentences
- After combing through telescope images, citizen scientists helped identify the highly unusual asteroid 2011 HM102 near Neptune.
- The project uses data collected by citizen scientists to create an online map of bee populations.
- A website is calling on citizen scientists to help researchers monitor and record Europe's bat population.
Definition of citizen science in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.