(also citril finch)
- A small European and African finch related to the canary, with generally yellowish-green plumage.
More example sentences
- Genus Serinus, family Fringillidae: two species
- The same trapper also made history when he netted the country's very first citril finch.
- Higher areas are inhabited by citril finches and water pipits, peregrine falcons and griffon vultures.
- In this area citril finches can be found along with crested tits and crossbills; rock buntings occur in the more stony areas.
late 17th century: apparently from Italian citrinella, diminutive of citrina 'citrine-coloured (bird)'.