nounchiefly • historical
- A city that with its surrounding territory forms an independent state.More example sentences
- Until the 11th century the political situation was confused and Naples, although nominally part of the Byzantine empire, was in fact an independent city state, which prospered from its trade with the East.
- This initially took the form of glorifying the city state: the city state was the world.
- I enjoyed getting a more detailed look at the city state's beautiful gardens.
More definitions of city stateDefinition of city state in:
- The US English dictionary