noun (plural civvies)
- 1A civilian, as distinct from a member of the police force or armed services.More example sentences
- After phoning about it a smug civvy took great delight in telling me that it was being fixed and not to bother them until next week… before promptly hanging up.
- You're ordering a pizza when you think a civvy has pushed in front of you.
- Why should we have to suffer the failings of civvies in the armed forces?
- 1.1 (civvies) Civilian clothes, as opposed to uniform: the Chief Constable came along in civviesMore example sentences
- She sneaked into town on a freight train, covered her uniform with civvies, stuffed her hair into a floppy hat and donned some oversized Ray-Bans.
- He was in civvies rather than a uniform and he didn't give me a chance to clean up, although I carry bags with me to do just that.
- Out in the car park, live wire Menashe has put away his coloured silk racing shirt and donned his civvies.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
- Relating to civilians: fliers who left the services for civvy airlinesMore example sentences
- Some wore civilian jackets and khaki trousers, others civvy trousers and khaki uniform jackets.
- He is sitting in a lounge at Celtic Park in civvy clothes.
- The officers and NCOs among the exodus are generally snapped up by civvy employers, such is the regard for their qualities.
- British • informal Civilian life: ex-service people starting life on Civvy StreetMore example sentences
- His two younger brothers, Steven and John, were also once in the army, but both are now back on Civvy Street working as welders.
- Called up at the end of the war in 1945 he served with the Eighth Army as part of the occupation troops in Austria and Italy before returning to Civvy Street and buying his first shop in 1952.
- On Civvy Street, Nicola is a registered nurse and feels that the TA has helped to develop her leadership and teamwork skills while improving her fitness.
late 19th century: abbreviation.
More definitions of civvyDefinition of civvy in:
- The US English dictionary