- (In Scotland or Northern Ireland) a small village or hamlet.More example sentences
- Our developments anchor on the idea of the clachan or hamlet.
- Head up the north-east side of the river bank and past the remains of an old village or clachan - another sad reminder of a previous way of life.
- The Glencoe Visitor Centre, run by the National Trust for Scotland, is designed as a traditional ‘clachan,’ or Highland village.
late Middle English: from Scottish Gaelic and Irish clachán.
More definitions of clachanDefinition of clachan in:
- The US English dictionary