- A group of organisms believed to comprise all the evolutionary descendants of a common ancestor: the great ape and human cladeMore example sentences
- Species in the two primary clades in the genus tend to be found in different parts of North America.
- Fossils are often not ancestors of extant taxa, but instead may be extinct sister groups to modern taxa or clades.
- The same mode of increase has been adopted independently in phylogenetically distinct clades.
1950s: from Greek klados 'branch'.
More definitions of cladeDefinition of clade in:
- The US English dictionary