- 1A person who claims something: the top claimer of taxpayer-funded expensesMore example sentences
- The area I live in has a very high percentage of benefit claimers.
- If you're a frequent claimer, then annual limits are what you need to focus on.
- Until more rigid checks are included you will get these sort of false claimers.
- 2 (also claiming race) Horse Racing A race in which every horse participating is for sale at a stipulated price: he was fourth in a 2m claimer at Bangor last weekMore example sentences
- He did not win again until late 2002 when he won back-to-back claiming races at Aqueduct and Philadelphia Park.
- He'll never get sold; he'll never run in a claiming race.
- The first is a one-mile claimer and the second a one-and-a-half-mile 0-60 handicap.
- 2.1British A jockey who claims a weight allowance in a race: the horse has been ridden by a 7 lb claimer in his two runsMore example sentences
- The 5lb claimer, who only turned professional recently, fought out a tremendous finish for the biggest success of his career.
- Still a 7lb claimer at that point last March, he won on his very first ride back.
- Partnered by an inexperienced claimer, the six-year-old stayed on well to finish third.
- 2.2US A horse entered in a claiming race.More example sentences
- The six-year-old gelding finished ninth of ten in the one-mile race for $25,000 claimers.
- Former claimer Trailthefox became a graded-stakes winner on Saturday, cruising to a victory over Starbury in the Arlington-Washington Futurity.
- Sea Reel won her first career start against maiden claimers at Hollywood on June 14.
More definitions of claimerDefinition of claimer in:
- The US English dictionary