- Suppress or prevent something in an oppressive or harsh manner: the authorities have also clamped down on public demonstrationsMore example sentences
- Police say they are determined to clamp down on bikers riding in an anti-social manner, on or off-road.
- While the government is intent on clamping down on truancy, it is preventing other children from attending school with equal vigour.
- The GN is also implementing its Tobacco Control Act that regulates the sale of tobacco to those over 19, clamps down on advertising and also restricts smoking in public places and workplaces.
More definitions of clamp downDefinition of clamp down in:
- The US English dictionary