- A large greyish rail (bird) of American coastal marshes, which has a distinctive clattering rattle-like call.
More example sentences
- Rallus longirostris, family Rallidae
- The California clapper rail is a secretive marsh bird with a distinctive call.
- Our biologists are working with Mexican and American partners now to recover the light-footed clapper rail, the Quino checkerspot butterfly, the ocelot, and many other species.
- At present, so much water is sucked from the Colorado that the river often fails to reach the Sea of Cortez, dooming species like the endangered desert pupfish and the Yuma clapper rail.
More definitions of clapper railDefinition of clapper rail in:
- The US English dictionary