verb[no object] (usually as adjective classicizing)
- Imitate a classical style: the classicizing strains in Guercino’s artMore example sentences
- A masterpiece of the medium, it was also an emblem of its era, its emotional intensity pitted against classicizing clarity.
- Unlike the Barcelona Pavilion, with its directional Modernist space and unaligned column and paving grids, at the Farnsworth House the column centers align with the grid of the travertine floor, classicizing the design.
- It deals with the making of Renaissance copies of a Roman relief based on Hellenistic figure types, which are then adapted in self-consciously referential ways into contemporary classicizing art in several media.
More definitions of classicizeDefinition of classicize in:
- The US English dictionary