(In the United Kingdom) a clause of the 1988 Local Government Bill (which became section 28 of the 1988 Local Government Act) which forbids public spending by local authorities on any activity that promotes homosexuality, and thereby imposes restrictions on certain books and educational material, works of art, etc.
1980s; earliest use found in The Financial Times.
1A unit of grammatical organization next below the sentence in rank and in traditional grammar said to consist of a subject and predicate. See also main clause, subordinate clause.
- In each sentence above, two clauses are linked by clause-chaining without conjunctions.
- A grounded clause corresponds to the traditional category of finite clause.
- What we really have here is an adjectival clause qualifying potentially a noun phrase or a noun.
2A particular and separate article, stipulation, or proviso in a treaty, bill, or contract.
- Contracts often have choice-of-law clauses, specifying the law to be applied.
- Also, I say to the Minister that it does not appear to me that there is a treaty clause in the bill.
- Under a provision referred to as clause 24 of the contract there was a time limit.
- Example sentences
- Problematic sequences that cannot easily be analysed into clausal constituents appear in such contexts as labels, titles, warnings, and greetings.
- The use of ‘because’ here makes clear that the external speaker is making a judgement about the clausal relationship between the two events described in and from the viewpoint of the discourse's internal protagonist.
- Having stated this position, Jackendoff immediately points to two cases where syntax and semantics fail to match up; one concerns the grammatical relation of clausal subject, the other the lexical category of noun.
Words that rhyme with clauseapplause, Azores, cause, Dors, drawers, gauze, hawse, indoors, Laws, outdoors, pause, plus-fours, quatorze, Santa Claus, taws, tawse, yaws, yours
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.